Bail set for man charged in Pa. building collapse

Firefighters stand by while some look for anyone trapped among debris at the site of the collapsed building in Philadelphia, on Wednesday, June 5, 2013. Deputy Fire Chief Robert Coyne said early Thursday that 61-year-old Myra Plekam was pulled from the debris more than 12 hours after a building collapsed and that she was awake and talking to rescuers. She's the 14th survivor of Wednesday's collapse. (AP Photo/Philadelphia Daily News, Stephanie Aaronson)
Firefighters stand by while some look for anyone trapped among debris at the site of the collapsed building in Philadelphia, on Wednesday, June 5, 2013. Deputy Fire Chief Robert Coyne said early Thursday that 61-year-old Myra Plekam was pulled from the debris more than 12 hours after a building collapsed and that she was awake and talking to rescuers. She's the 14th survivor of Wednesday's collapse. (AP Photo/Philadelphia Daily News, Stephanie Aaronson)

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A judge has set bail at nearly $1.6 million for a demolition contractor charged in a fatal building collapse in Philadelphia.

Sean Benschop had previously been held without bail on six charges of involuntary manslaughter.

Prosecutors argued at a preliminary hearing Wednesday that Benschop is a flight risk. They say he was born in Guyana, is not a U.S. citizen and has used numerous aliases.

Defense attorney Daine Grey countered that his 42-year-old client turned himself in after police issued an arrest warrant in the case.

Investigators say Benschop was impaired by marijuana and painkillers on June 5 when he operated heavy equipment on a vacant building under demolition.

A four-story brick wall collapsed onto the adjacent Salvation Army thrift shop, killing six people and injuring 13.

blog comments powered by Disqus