Blaze that killed young Kan. twins accidental

fire element

PRATT, Kan. (AP) – A report by the Kansas State Fire Marshal’s Office says a December fire that killed two young twin brothers in southern Kansas was an accident caused by careless cooking methods.

The Wichita Eagle (http://bit.ly/LIcbhs) reports fire investigators have closed their portion of the probe, but a Pratt Police Department investigation could lead to possible criminal charges.

Jayce and Jasper Ibarra were 23 months old Dec. 23 when a fire broke out in their Pratt home. Firefighters found the boys’ mother, Destry Ibarra, on the porch roof with black smoke spewing from a second-floor window.

Firefighters found the boys, but an EMS crew determined both had died at the scene.

The fire marshal’s report says the blaze resulted from “careless and improper cooking methods causing a grease fire in the kitchen.”

Information from: The Wichita (Kan.) Eagle, http://www.kansas.com

blog comments powered by Disqus